"One ought, everyday at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and speak a few reasonable words." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Quotes From My Favorite Movie

It was recently brought to my attention that it's surprising that quotes from my favorite book/movie have yet to show up on my blog. I've been blogging for 3 months now, so I guess it is about time I unleashed the beast that is my obsession with The Lord of the Rings. And I'm not going to be conservative about it, either. I'm just going to DUMP every geeky drop of it on you by sharing my most favorite quotes/scenes with you! And because I know you'll ask: Yes, I did pause/type/rewind to get them. Yes, I am proud of it. No, I can't explain why I like some of them; it's just a feeling I get in my soul when I hear the words. It's something like fulfillment; like my heart found a missing piece I didn't know was missing until I heard the words. I know, I know...I'm hopelessly in love. Smitten. Besotted. Enraptured. All of it...

You know what would make my ardent LOTR heart skip a beat? If you would share YOUR favorite quotes/scenes from the movie, too. At least then I wouldn't feel alone in my love. Misery loves company, people. So spill! ;) 


“I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler.” --Frodo (Fellowship)

“Many that live deserve death, some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise can not see all ends.”--Gandalf (Fellowship)


Frodo: “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.” 
Gandalf: “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides that of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.”
--Frodo and Gandalf (Fellowship)

“Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house…No parent should have to bury their child.” --Theoden, King of Rohan (Two Towers)

Eowyn: “I fear neither death nor pain.” 
Aragorn: “What do you fear, my lady?” 
Eowyn: “A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.” 
Aragorn: “You are a daughter of kings; a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.”
--Eowyn and Aragon (Two Towers)

“My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who then will your people look to in the last defense?” --Aragorn (Two Towers)

Frodo: “Why do you do that? Call him names; run him down all the time?” 
Sam: “Because…that’s what he is, Mister Frodo. There’s not left in him but lies and deceit. It’s the ring he wants. It’s all he cares about.” 
Frodo: “You have no idea what it did to him; what it’s still doing to him. I want to help him Sam.” 
Sam: “Why?” 
Frodo: “Because I have to believe he can come back.” 
Sam: “You can’t save him, Mister Frodo.” 
Frodo: “What do you know about it? I’m sorry Sam, I don’t know why I said that.” 
Sam: “I do. It’s the ring. You can’t take your eyes off it. You’re not eatin’. You barely sleep. It’s taken hold of you, Frodo. You have to fight it!” 
Frodo: “I know what I have to do, Sam! It’s my task - my own!” 
Sam: “Can’t you hear yourself? Don’t you know who you sound like? [Like him! Gollum!]
--Frodo and Sam (Two Towers) 

“It’s like in the great stories mister Frodo – the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it’s only a passing thing - this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stay with you; that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mister Frodo, I do understand; I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something. (Frodo: “And what are we holding onto Sam?”) “That there’s some good in this world, Mister Frodo. And it’s worth fightin’ for!” --Sam (Two Towers)

Elrond: “The life of the Eldar is leaving you.” 
Arwen: “It was my choice. Ada, either by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence.”
--Elrond and Arwen (Return of the King)

“You think you are wise, Mithrandir. Yet, for all your subtleties you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a sword against Mordor and with your right you’d seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh, yes. Word has reached my ears of this Aragorn, son of Arathorn. But I tell you now I will not bow to this Ranger of the North. Last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship; the rule of Gondor is mine, and no other’s!” --Lord Denethor, Steward of Gondor (Return of the King)


PIPPIN:  So I imagine this is just a ceremonial position. I mean, they don’t actually expect me to do any fighting, do they?
GANDALF: You’re in the service of the steward now.  You’ll have to do as you are told Peregrin Took. Ridiculous Hobbit!  Guard of the Citadel!
PIPPIN: There’s no more stars!  Is it time? 
GANDALF: Yes.
PIPPIN:  It’s so quiet.   
GANDALF: It’s the deep breath before the plunge.
PIPPIN: I don’t want to be in a battle. But waiting on the edge of one I can’t escape is even worse. Is there any hope Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?
GANDALF:  There never was much hope. Just a fool’s hope.
--Pippin and Gandalf (Return of the King)

“The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the east; a sleepless malice. The eye of the enemy is moving.” –Legolas (Return of the King)

“I’m just a Hobbit. I know I can’t save middle earth. I just want to help my friends.” --Meriadoc (Return of the King)

"Courage, Meri. Courage for our friends." --Eowyn (Return of the King)

Witch King of Angmar: "Fool. No man can kill me. Die now."
Eowyn: "I am no man!"
--My favorite scene (Return of the King)

“The road must be trod, but it will be very hard.  And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it.  This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong.  Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:  small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere" --J.R.R. Tolkien, LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Riddle of Strider

Here's the second half of The Riddle of Strider from the movie. LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment