"One ought, everyday at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and speak a few reasonable words." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, August 22, 2011

Twenty Dollar Bill

"I wish I could show you, When you are lonely or in darkness, The astonishing light of your own being."
--Hafiz

I have shared the following analogies with my children on countless occasions, but sometimes I forget the lesson myself. I figure, who doesn't need an occasional reminder that every person has a value that does not change, no matter what they do?

Perception is key in the stock market. It's what people think about the value of a company that ultimately determines it's worth. There is a common - VERY common - misconception that what we think of people determines their worth as well. But that's not the way it is at all. With people, perception is not the ruler. 

Think of an infant. He or she comes into the world with an awesome value that I feel so keenly that it often brings tears to my eyes when I hold one. Yet, the child hasn't made a single choice or acted at all. From this it can be concluded that the monumental value each human is born with is not based on choices and therefore does not expand or diminish regardless of a person's actions. People just get blinded by what you do and treat you like less, but you're never worth any less than the day you were born.

I try to remember this when I'm dealing with others. No one you encounter is worth any more or less than you, no matter what they've done. It is important to treat them as such. Even more important, to remember your own unchanging value and treat yourself like the Prince or Princess you are and the King or Queen you can become someday. Enjoy!


Twenty Dollar Bill

A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, “Who would like this $20 bill?” 

Hands started going up. 

He said, “I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.” He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill. 

He then asked, “Who still wants it?” Still the hands were up in the air. 

Well,” he replied, “What if I do this?” 

And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. 

“Now, who still wants it?”

Still the hands went into the air.

My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are 
worthless, but no matter what has happened or what will happen; what you do or will do, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless.”

The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by WHO WE ARE and WHOSE WE ARE. You are special. You are worthy. You have a value that does not fluctuate on the whims of those around you. Don't EVER forget it!
--Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment