"One ought, everyday at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and speak a few reasonable words." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sportsmanship

When the Great Scorer comes to mark against your name, He writes not that you won or lost, but how you played the Game.
--Grantland Rice, Sportswriter 


I have never met a sports movie I didn’t like. I don’t even LIKE baseball, but I have always been a sucker for baseball movies. I think it’s because the movies - for me - aren’t about the game so much as the Team and the heroic character that is built in individuals as teams work together to overcome obstacles and reach a common goal. I find it so inspirational!

This video is no exception. It has everything I love about sports movies and more because it’s real. The sportsmanship, love, and kindness displayed make me want to be a better person. I hope it will do the same for you. Enjoy!




"Sportsmanship is not just about being nice. It is much more important than that. It's about realizing that you could not compete without an opponent and that she has the same goals as you."
--Stephanie Deibler

"No amount of ability is of the slightest avail without honor."
--Andrew Carnegie

"In the end, it’s extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more that that, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self sacrifice. And finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don’t win, how can you lose?"
--Jesse Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment