"One ought, everyday at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and speak a few reasonable words." --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Monday, April 18, 2011

Something small

“One day I was walking down the street in London, and I saw a tall, thin man sitting on the corner, all huddled up, looking most miserable. I went up to him, shook his hand, and asked him how he was. He looked up at me and said, “Oh! After such a long, long time I feel the warmth of a human hand!” And he sat up. There was such a beautiful smile on his face because somebody was kind to him. Just shaking his hand had made him feel like somebody. I gave him the feeling of being loved by somebody, the joy of being loved. Love is not patronizing and charity isn’t about pity, it is about love. Charity and Love are the same—with Charity you give Love, so don’t just give money, but reach out your hand instead. We have been created to love and to be loved.” –Mother Theresa

I’m not catholic, but I love to read Mother Theresa. While I always try to take every opportunity to do good for my fellowman, she makes me feel like there’s a whole new layer of life that I’m just missing. The interesting thing is, it doesn’t make me feel bad about myself that I’m missing it; her words actually have the opposite effect. I feel like I want to get some of that…pronto! And she makes it seem so easy, I feel totally capable of obtaining it.

Sometimes all anyone needs is to be acknowledged; a smile, a friendly gesture, a listening ear. And the best thing is: everyone is qualified for the job.

“We often neglect small things. There are many people who can do big things, but there are very few people who will do the small things. Do small things with great love.” –Mother Theresa

Reach out your hand and try something small today…

No comments:

Post a Comment